High Court of AJ&K

The High Court was established under Resolution No. 372 passed on 18th May 1948. Through this resolution, one post of Judge High Court, one Steno, one Clerk of Court, one Registrar High Court, one Assistant Advocate General and one Chaprasi for the High Court were created. Through another resolution No. 594 passed on 9.10.1948, it was decided that instead of one Judge there would be two Judges of the High Court. It was provided that in the event of difference between the two on any point the opinion of the Chief Justice would prevail. It was also provided that the incumbent Judge of the High Court would be the Chief Justice because of his seniority in service in Azad Government. Under an order of the President issued 8.11.1948, Mr. Justice Abdul Majeed Khan was appointed Chief Justice of the High Court. Sheikh Abdul Rashid was appointed as puisne Judge of the High Court. At that time the Headquarter of the High Court was at Rawalpindi with the code name of “Lion”. Under Cabinet Order No. 233/50 dated 11.7.1950, actions of Minister for Law in fixing the headquarter of the High Court at “Lion” in the first instance and then in shifting the headquarter of the High Court from “Lion” to Muzaffarabad were confirmed.